Skipton is a town in the Western District of Victoria, Australia. The town is situated on the Glenelg Highway 166 kilometres west of the state capital, Melbourne and 52 kilometres south west of the regional centre, Ballarat. Part of Corangamite Shire local government area, Skipton is on the banks of Mount Emu Creek and at the 2006 census had a population of 482.
Skipton was first established in 1839 as a pastoral run and a town site was surveyed in 1852. The town was settled some years later and the Post Office opened on 6 March 1858. The town held the first agricultural show in the Western District in 1859.
Golfers play at the course of the Skipton Golf Club on Geelong-Portland Road.
Skipton Variety Market is held on every second Saturday of the month at the Mechanics Hall in Anderson Street.
Cick HERE to listen to the actual call of the 1941 Melbourne Cup.
Return to the top of the page by clicking HERE